The JAMB subject combination is one criterion that universities have for admission. Notably, choosing the incorrect combination of subjects is one of the reasons students change their course of study. You will also find the JAMB subject combinations for linguistics on this site.
You should also be aware that even though two courses are in the same field, their subject combinations might not be the same. Whatever the case, this site will provide you with all the information you need regarding this course. It will also give you the list of universities that are offering it, and in the meantime, it will also supply other information that could be quite useful.
What You Need to Know About Linguistics
Linguistics is the scientific study of language, and its focus is the systematic investigation of the properties of particular languages as well as the characteristics of the language in general.
It includes not just the study of grammar, meaning, and sound but also the history of language families, how children and adults learn languages, how language usage is processed in the brain, and how racial and gender differences are related to language use.
This extensive range of other fields, including anthropology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, biology, computer science, health sciences, education, and literature, are complemented by linguistics because of its close linkages to the humanities, social sciences, and scientific sciences.
RECOMMENDED: BOUESTI Courses and Requirements
The emphasis of the linguistic ideas used in the classroom to assist students to get better at communicating in either their first language or a second language is emphasized by the subfield of applied linguistics.
These are the following things you need to know about linguistics:
Firstly, Students will spend around four years at the institution taking the subject Linguistics. Nevertheless, this is only feasible if there are no carryovers, and it also depends on the form of admission.
Only these art students are appropriate for the course because it is an art course.
Students might not have a difficult time getting in because the course is not particularly competitive.
Linguistics is classified as being in the art faculty by JAMB. However, this could differ at some universities.
Lastly, with a degree in linguistics, there are many work opportunities, although they are competitive. To be able to find employment quickly, students should be sure they finish with a decent degree.
Requirements To Study Linguistics In Nigeria
1. Prior to enrolling in a linguistics program in Nigeria, you must have earned at least 5 credits at the O’level (WAEC or NECO), including English and Mathematics in no more than two (2) sittings. Other schools require only a single sitting.
2. On the last day of October of the admissions year, you must have reached the age of sixteen (16).
3. Obtain the linguistics minimum GPA required by your school.
4. Possess strong JAMB, WAEC, and post-UTME scores, if applicable.
Direct Entry Requirements To Study Linguistics In Nigeria
1. A maximum of two (2) sittings for a minimum of five (5) credits in the Ordinary Level of the Senior Secondary Certificate Exams (SSCE/GCE).
RECOMMENDED: WAEC Syllabus For Mathematics
2. Degree in a comparable discipline with a first- or second-class upper standing.
3. Candidates for direct entry must acquire the Direct Entry form from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
4. A National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), or any Advanced Level Certificate with a least Merit Pass.
5. Additional qualifications that are equivalent to (1) and (4) above and are acceptable to the Senate of the university of your choosing. Candidates must additionally meet such Faculty/Departmental entry requirements in addition to the aforementioned minimum admission requirements.
JAMB Subject Combination For Linguistics
Compulsory and Correct UTME Subjects Required in JAMB to study Linguistics Are:
Use Of English
Literature In English
Christian Religious Knowledge
Government or Economics accepted
List of Universities Offering Linguistics In Nigeria
Furthermore, students in Nigeria have a large selection of universities from which to choose to pursue linguistics. Yet, it ultimately comes down to which program they feel comfortable applying to and knowing they will be admitted to for linguistics.
Students should also take into account the relevance of the Universities in Nigeria that offer linguistics. As a result, people ought to conduct research on institutions to learn things like their entrance standards, tuition costs, and other pertinent data.
The universities in Nigeria that provide communication studies and linguistics are listed below.
Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko
Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti
Bayero University, Kano
Benue State University, Makurdi
Delta State University, Abraka
Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State
Fountain University, Osogbo
Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
Kaduna State University, Kaduna
Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
Osun State University, Osogbo
University Of Abuja, Abuja
University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
University Of Jos, Jos
University Of Maiduguri
The University Of Nigeria Nsukka
University Of Uyo
Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto.